Article: Announcing ParkServe Data Platform

Just stumbled across this article announcing a new data platform. This platform’s target audience is advocates for green space. I’m really supportive of topic specific platforms! Looking forward to playing with this when it launches.

The Trust for Public Land is rolling out a new online tool called ParkServe aimed at putting more data about park systems into the hands of the public.

Article on Next City
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/cities-park-access-big-data-tool

What data will they have that goes beyond what Google maps already offers? You should already be able to pick a point on a map and have Google tell you where the closest park is…

If they do get more granular with it though, this would be a cool thing to factor into that livability score idea I wanted to build last year.

I’m guessing they’re going to launch with decent data, but mostly that it will be the context provided that matters. For example EdDataZone.

EdDataZone’s map is designed to help in situating new schools. They’ve cleaned and already loaded all the relevant data, including required legal buffer zones around highways, gang boundaries, existing schools, school districts, etc that you need to reference in deciding where to site a new Charter Zone.

They’re service is currently expanding, but one of the things that strikes me as most interesting is everyone of these datasets (of about 200) in their platform (ArcGIS online) is already available as open data. They’ve just repackaged it for answering a complicated recurring question: Where should we put a new school?

I imagine ParkServe (which looks to be on a new ESRI platform), will be similarly valuable in that it provides all the right context necessary to answer the question: Where do we most need more green space?

Ah, that actually makes a ton of sense… I like it. Almost a version of what I was getting at with the 2016 is about the how of open data article I wrote a while back about not just putting out data, but helping it become useful.